Navigate Up
Sign In

Get My CTA U-Pass

This fall, City Colleges will offer a discounted U-Pass program for students enrolled in nine (9) or more credit hours.  City Colleges has worked with the Chicago Transit Authority to be able to purchase passes on demand this fall, making a revised U-Pass program possible.  

Any student taking nine (9) or more credit hours can opt-in to this voluntary benefit – but they must pay a one-time, nonrefundable fee of $70 for the semester. The U-Pass will be deactivated if a student’s class schedule falls below nine (9) credit hours.

If you opt in to receive a U-Pass and pay the $70 non-refundable fee, the U-Pass function on your Ventra Card will activate on Monday, August 24, 2020, the first day of fall term credit classes.

Students who would like to opt-in to the U-Pass program for the Fall 2020 semester should log in to and fill out the U-Pass form under "Announcements." Then, they can choose how they would like to pay the $70 fee. Students may pay with cash or credit card, opt to use available financial aid, or request financial assistance.
Below, you’ll find some general information to help you become familiar with your new Ventra U-Pass:
  • With the new Ventra card, you will no longer need to obtain a new U-Pass every semester.
  • Your U‐Pass is valid for five years and your transit account will remain active when the semester is completed, BUT you must add funds to your U‐Pass to use it.
  • U‐Pass privileges are not valid on Pace buses or Metra trains. You must pay a full fare to ride Pace and Metra.   
Using Your U-Pass Between Semesters              
While your U-Pass allows free CTA rides during the semester, you will need to add funds to your Ventra account in order to use it when classes are not in session or if you are not full time.     
One of the benefits of the Ventra Card is that you can continue to use it during the time between semesters, but in order to do so you will need to add funds to your Ventra account. You can load transit value to your card:    

Rules and Conditions

U‐Pass is limited to exclusive use by the original full‐time student card owner. Your U‐Pass may not be shared. If any conditions are violated, the pass will be confiscated for up to one academic year without reimbursement.    
Lost, Damaged, or Stolen Cards                
If your pass is lost or stolen, you may request a new card through the Business Office at your home college. You must present your City Colleges ID and pay a $50 non-refundable replacement fee. If you have further questions, email the CTA at:, call 1-888-YOUR-CTA, or visit the CTA U-PASS website.​    





​For more information, contact your college's Business Office or visit the CTA website.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Contact Information


Learn More

    U-Pass Distribution Schedule
    Fall 2019

    Room 1401: Monday-Thursday from 9am-2pm

    ***If you need assistance after 2pm or on Friday, please see the Director of Student Activities in Room 1301  

    For UPass card pick-up once you have ordered the card, please see the Cashier's Window, 1403G