Navigate Up
Sign In

Financial Aid

Chicago, IL  
Get Directions

Maintaining Your Financial Aid Eligibility

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Every Year   
You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process for every year that you plan to receive financial aid. The FAFSA application becomes available on October 1st each year, and is used for the following school year, including Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.

Complete your FAFSA as early as possible to get the most financial aid possible.  For additional guidance on filling out your FAFSA, please visit here.        

Complete Additional Requests for Information        
You may be required by the federal government to provide more than the FAFSA in order to be eligible for financial aid.  Check  the “To Do List” in your student portal at and your CCC email regularly.  If you are selected by the federal government to provide more information (this is called verification), you can get the required verification worksheet by visiting your college’s Financial Aid Office or our Missing Documents webpage.
Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) 
In order to be eligible for financial aid funds, CCC students must maintain the following standards of academic progress (SAP):    
​​​​Standard 1: Progressive Grade Point Average (GPA)   
Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA according to the following chart.   
Standard 2: Progressive Rate of Completion (Pace):   
A student must earn at least the minimum cumulative Pace percentage, as shown below, for the attempted number of credit hours. Only non-remedial courses are included in this calculation.   
Maximum Timeframe: A student must stay on track to complete his/her program of study within 150% of the program's credit-hour length, or timeframe. A student loses financial aid eligibility when it becomes mathematically impossible to complete the academic program within 150% of the program's required credit hours    
A detailed explanation of SAP standards can be found in the Academic and Student Policy.    
To appeal a SAP hold, visit the SAP Appeal Website. If you have questions about the SAP policy, visit your Financial Aid Office​. ​   
Make Sure Your Courses Count Toward Your Declared Academic Program.         
Federal regulations state that financial aid cannot be awarded for classes that do not count towards your declared academic program. If you choose to take these courses, your financial aid award will be reduced by the number of credit hours listed. If your award does not fully cover your tuition, you are responsible for using self-pay methods to pay your remaining tuition balance.

To make sure you receive as much Financial Aid as possible, log in to, click on “My Academic Plan”, go to “Academic Planning,” then “Degree Audit” to review the courses you need to complete your degree. If your declared academic program is incorrect, meet with your college advisor immediately to have it updated.        

If you have additional questions about how the courses you are enrolled in will affect your financial aid eligibility, please contact your Financial Aid Office​.     

Make Sure You Are in a Financial Aid Eligible Program
​​​​​​Federal student financial aid is available for students whose educational intent is to earn a financial aid eligible degree or certificate. Your Financial Aid Office​ can provide a comprehensive listing of programs that are financial aid eligible at CCC.

Students can only receive financial aid for courses that apply to their academic program or up to 30 credit hours of remedial course work. Please meet with a college advisor before you register to make sure you are in an eligible program.      

For more information on financial aid eligible programs, please see the Student Policy Manual (page 51).      

Other factors affecting financial aid eligibility       
How withdrawing from your courses impacts your financial aid:  
Students who officially withdraw (WTH) before the 60% point of the semester, or are administratively withdrawn (ADW) from all of their financial aid eligible classes, will be required to return a portion of the Title IV funds they have received. Title IV funds include Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and Federal Direct Loans. City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) will apply a federally mandated Return to Title IV calculation ("R2T4") to determine the percentage of financial aid the student has earned, which is based on the percentage of the term he/she completed.      
Student Loan Default      
Students who are currently in default on any student loan(s) are not eligible for Title IV funds. Contact your lender/servicer and make arrangements to pay off your previous student loan. Generally, you must make at least 6 consecutive monthly payments before you will be eligible for any Title IV funds. The Federal Student Aid site provides guidance on repaying your loans. ​​​​​​​    ​  
8-Week Classes Start March 11