Navigate Up
Sign In

Types of Grants

Types of Grants

​Federal Programs

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is awarded to students who are determined to be financially needing the funds, are first time undergraduate students seeking an eligible degree or certificate program, and are in compliance with the Eligibility Requirements. To determine if you are eligible financially, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the information you report on the FAFSA. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. Your Student Aid Report (SAR) contains this number in the upper right portion of page 1.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a supplement to the Federal Pell Grant. It is awarded to students with exceptional financial need. Awards are processed by file completion date until all funds are exhausted. Priority will be given to students who:

Note: Federal grant programs are administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work Study Program provides a student with an opportunity to earn money for school expenses by working part-time while enrolled at one of the City Colleges. The hourly rate starts at the state-approved minimum wage. Most jobs are located on campus. Federal Work Study students work 10 to 20 hours per week. Positions are limited and offered to students who are enrolled at least one-half time on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted.

State of Illinois Programs

The Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) administers the following grant programs for Illinois residents who meet the specific program requirements. During the application process, students may be requested to submit proof of Illinois residency.

To be considered an Illinois resident, ISAC has issued the following guidelines:

  • A dependent student is a resident of Illinois if the parent of the dependent applicant, whose information is listed on the FAFSA, physically resides in Illinois.
  • Independent students: An independent student is a resident of Illinois if they reside in Illinois one continuous year prior to the start of the academic year that assistance is requested.

State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP)

The Monetary Award Program is a state grant that can cover tuition and mandatory fees for Illinois residents in credit hour degree programs. To be considered for this program, ISAC needs the student's FAFSA to be submitted to the Federal Processor by a certain deadline date assigned by ISAC each year. ISAC receives an electronic version of the SAR, and performs a calculation to determine if the student is eligible for the grant. City Colleges of Chicago must be one of the college choices on the FAFSA in order for a student to be eligible for a MAP grant.

Contact the Financial Aid Office for further information on how to add City Colleges as one of the colleges on the FAFSA. The actual payment of a student's grant will occur if they meet all of the MAP requirements, the Eligibility Requirements​, and are enrolled for at least three hours of college credit course work. 

Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG)

The Illinois Veteran Grant pays tuition and mandatory fees for either undergraduate and/or graduate study at any Illinois public university or community college for Illinois residents who qualify. Recipients may use their grant assistance up to a maximum of 120 eligibility units. Additional information is available from field offices of the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs, college or university financial aid offices, or ISAC.  

Illinois National Guard (ING)

The Illinois National Guard who serve at least one year of active duty are eligible to receive a grant for payment of tuition and certain fees for either undergraduate or graduate study at Illinois public universities and community colleges.