Navigate Up
Sign In

Military and Veteran Educational Benefits

Military and Veteran Educational Benefits

To expedite the application and certification process, a veteran should bring their separation document(s) (DD214 or equivalent) to the college they wish to attend. Active duty, reserve, and National Guard personnel should provide their DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), or equivalent documentation. Dependents of veterans should provide any documentation which can be used to substantiate eligibility.

NOTE: a student who is receiving federal and/or state veteran educational benefits may still be eligible for federal and/or state financial aid. To apply for financial aid, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


Federal Benefits

Montgomery GI Bill®, Chapter 30

The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty Program provides up to a maximum of 36 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, as well as, some short-term skills programs. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Post-9/11 GI Bill , Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides up to a maximum of 36 months of education benefits to qualified veterans. Benefits include a monthly stipend based on a basic housing allowance and a book stipend, both paid directly to the veteran. A tuition and fee component, which is paid directly to the college, is also available under this program.

Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)

In certain circumstances, the Department of Defense offers active duty service members serving on or after August 1, 2009 the opportunity to transfer their educational benefits to their spouse and/or dependent children.

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606 is specifically designed for members of the Selected Reserves and National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the unit component with a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) given to the service member as documentation of eligibility.

Vocational Readiness and Employment Program (VR&E)

The Vocational Readiness and Employment Program (VR&E)​​ provides vocational rehabilitation services to veterans with service-connected disabilities. This program is designed to assist injured veterans with disabilities to achieve a seamless transition from military service through a successful rehabilitation to suitable employment after service.

Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA), Chapter 35

The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)​ offers up to a maximum of 45 months of education benefits. Spouses and children of veterans who died of a service-related condition or who are classified with a 100 percent service-connected disability may be eligible.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Children of an active duty service member who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001 may be eligible for the Marine Gunnery Seargeant John David Fry Scholarship​​. Benefits are similar to those of the Post 9/11 GI Bill .

Tuition Assistance

The Tuition Assistance Program is administered through the Department of Defense for active duty service members, active reservists or active members of the National Guard. Service members would be required to apply for tuition assistance through their specific branch of the service.

V.A. Work-Study Program

Full-time or 3/4-time student veterans can "earn while they learn" under the VA Work-Study Program​. In most cases, students are assigned to work at a site which primarily services veterans. 

State of Illinois Benefits

Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG)

The Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG) Program pays tuition and mandatory fees for either undergraduate or graduate study at any Illinois public university or community college for those veterans who were honorably discharged with at least one year of full-time active duty.

Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant

The Illinois National Guard Grant​ pays tuition and eligible fees at Illinois public university or community colleges for eligible members of the Illinois National Guard.

MIA/POW Scholarship

Dependent(s) of a veteran who was an Illinois resident at the time they entered active duty and has been declared to be a prisoner of war, missing in action, died as a result of a service-connected disability, or disabled with a 100 percent disability as the result of a service-connected cause may be eligible to receive the MIA/POW Scholarship.

Illinois Troops to Teachers Program

The Illinois Troops to Teachers Program provides mentoring and referral services to eligible veterans who wish to transition into a K-12 public school teaching career.

State of Illinois Benefits for Veterans Booklet

Download a copy of the State of Illinois Benefits Booklet.​

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at:​.

Learn More

​Truman College's VA Certifying Official:

Allan Robertson ​

Located in the Financial Aid Office, Room 102, Larry McKeon Building   

Consumer Information Disclosure for Veterans