Navigate Up
Sign In

CCC Placement Tests

​New students and former students without placement scores on file are required to take a placement test before registering for classes. Students who have previously taken the placement test but whose placement scores are one or more years old are required to re-take the placement test.                

Since the results of your placement test(s) will determine which course you are eligible to register for, you are encouraged to take the placement test(s) as soon as possible.                

Prior to taking the placement test(s) new students must apply for admission and receive: a student ID number, CCC username and password to log-in to – the student portal. This information is sent to new students to the email address provided in the online application.                

How to Prepare

You are strongly encouraged to review placement test preparation materials, accessible through the links to the right under 'Other Resources.'                

Taking my placement test(s)

To take the CCC placement exams, you must visit one of the seven City Colleges of Chicago locations.  Please log into your student portal at to review testing center locations and hours.                 

Do I need any materials to take the placement test(s)?

In order to ensure that you are able to take the test comfortably and without interruption, you should keep these things handy: ink pens, pencils, paper, and your username and password for the student portal. You will need bring your student ID number and your photo ID to the campus Testing Center.                

Do I have to take the placement test(s)?

In order to register for classes, you must have completed placement test(s) or been granted a test waiver. You may not be required to take the placement test if you are:                  

  • A transfer student who has earned a grade of “C” or better in college-level English and/or math or if you have previously earned an Associate’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university. You must submit an official transcript verifying successful completion.
  • A student who has completed an Advanced Placement (AP), College-Level Examination (CLEP), or International Baccalaureate credit (IB) examination with results that would grant credit for college-level English and/or math. You must submit an official record of your test score. For more information visit the CCC websites for AP, CLEP, or IB credits. 
  • A high school graduate with a copy of your ACT with a minimum score of 21 or SAT of 540* in English and 530 in Math. ACT and SAT scores are valid for a period of four (4) years. You may obtain a copy of your ACT or SAT test scores by contacting your high school advisor. You can also contact ACT directly at (319)337-1000 and SAT at (866)756-7346.   
*Students who score 480 or above but under 540 on the SAT Evidence Based Reading & Writing or who score 19 or above but under a 21 on the ACT English will be required to take the CCC Reading to Write (RTW) as part of the enrollment process but will be able to take college-level courses. You will want to meet with a College Advisor as part of your enrollment process to identify the set of courses that will be best for you.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities        
Test Accommodations for students with disabilities are given in a manner consistent with the applicable requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. This includes offering and administering the test in a time, place, and manner that is accessible, including the provision of appropriate modifications and auxiliary aids and services.         
To receive placement testing accommodations please contact the DAC at your college.         
Disability Access Center (DAC) Offices        





8-Week Classes Start March 11