Navigate Up
Sign In

Get My CTA U-Pass

City Colleges of Chicago offers a discounted Ventra U-Pass for students enrolled in nine (9) or more credit hours. This optional benefit offers unlimited rides on any CTA bus or train during the semester. 

Any student taking nine (9) or more credit hours can opt in for a one-time, nonrefundable fee of $70 for the semester. The U-Pass will be deactivated if a student’s class schedule falls below nine (9) credit hours.        

Opt-In Process    

Students who would like to opt in to receive a U-Pass should log in to their student portal at and fill out the U-Pass form under "Announcements." Then, they can choose how they would like to pay the $70 fee. Students may pay with cash or credit card, opt to use available financial aid, or request financial assistance. Payment must be secured to complete the opt-in process.        

Returning Students (Enrolled in 9 or more credit hours)                   

If you already have a Ventra U-Pass card and you meet the criteria below, the U-Pass function on your card will automatically activate on the first day of Spring credit classes:            


·       Enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) credit hours  

·       Do not have a negative balance on your Ventra transit account 

·       Have paid the $70 fee or requested financial assistance 


New Students (Enrolled in 9 or more credit hours)             

If you are a new student to the Ventra U-Pass program for Spring 2023, you must opt in at After you opt in, please follow the instructions provided by your college below.

Once you have opted in via, your identity must be verified. Afterwards, you will receive a link to electronically submit the Ventra order form. There is a 7-day timeline for CTA processing and mailing of the card. You will be contacted about card distribution once cards are shipped. If you have questions, please contact the Student Affairs office virtually at  


Below, you’ll find some general information to help you become familiar with your new Ventra U-Pass:                       

·       ​With the new Ventra card, you will no longer need to obtain a new U-Pass every semester. 

·       Your U-Pass Card is valid for at least five years, and your transit account will remain active when the semester is completed. However, you must add funds to your UPass to use it between semesters. 

·       UPass privileges are not valid on Pace buses or Metra trains. You must pay a full fare to ride Pace and Metra. 


Using Your U-Pass Between Semesters                      

While your U-Pass allows you to take free CTA rides during the semester, you will need to add funds to your Ventra account in order to use it when classes are not in session (or if you are not full time).  


How to add funds to your Ventra account: 

·       ​Online at 

·       At Ventra vending machines located at CTA rail stations 

·       At participating retail locations (visit​ to find a location) 


Rules and Conditions                      

UPass is limited to exclusive use by the original fulltime student card owner. Your UPass may not be shared. If any conditions are violated, the pass will be confiscated for up to one academic year without reimbursement, and you will need to pay $50 in order to receive a replacement card.  


Lost, Damaged, or Stolen Cards                

If your pass is lost or stolen, you may request a new card through the Business Office at your home college. You must present your City Colleges ID and pay a $50 non-refundable replacement fee. If you have further questions, email the CTA at, call 1-888-YOUR-CTA, or visit the CTA U-Pass website.             


For more information, contact your college's Business Office or visit the CTA website.                      

College U-Pass Contacts 


Harold Washington College        

For new students only:   

First, complete the Ventra opt-in form at Then, visit the virtual Student Affairs Office at​ to be verified and receive your next steps. There is a 7-day timeline for CTA processing. Students will be contacted about card pickup when cards are ready at the college.        

Business Hours: 

​Monday – Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.        

Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. ​  


Truman College      

Point of Contact: 

Jerica Turek-Johnson, Student Activities Director   


Kennedy-King College     

Point of Contact: 

Remona Gavin, College Secretary    


Malcolm X College   

Point of Contact: 

Office of Student Activities      



MXC Student Activities (1418) Ventra Office Hours: 

Monday – Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. 

Thursday: 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. 

Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. 


Olive-Harvey College       

Point of Contact: 

Monice Purnell, Student Activities Director      


Daley College​    

Point of Contact:  

Beverly Hicks, Student Activities Director      

Main Office: 773-838-7777     


Ventra Office Hours:  

Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.    


Wright College     

Point of Contact: 

Katie Ordinario, Student Activities Director 







Contact Information


Learn More

​​U-Pass Distribution Schedules

Harold Washington College
Truman College
Kennedy-King College
Malcolm X College
Olive-Harvey College
Daley College​
Wright College
Registration opens on April 12