Step 1: Order your boxes and labels
You can order the boxes and labels through Office Max.
Step 2: Boxing the Records
- Organize the records in a sequence that reflects the classification and filing procedures used while they were in your office.
- Leave about 2 cm (about 3/4 inch) of space in each box to make file retrieval or re-filing easier.
- Review all the files.
- Remove non-record material such as externally published reports, supplies or equipment catalogues flyers, blank forms, reference articles, large paper clips, rubber bands and hanging folders.
- Transfer any material stored in binders to standard file folders and label them appropriately. Create more than one file for each binder if necessary.
- Do not send hanging folders hanging folders eventually destroy the box, often within the first year of storage
Step 3: Entering Data
- Download the Admin SVCS Document Records Data Form
- You will be prompted to save it to your desktop.
- Click Save and verify that the Save in Field displays Desktop
- Click Save
- Go to your desktop and right click on the Document Records Data.zip file.
- Choose Explore
- You can then drag and drop the file to your desktop.
- Open the Document Records Data.mdb file from your desktop
- Click on forms
- Double click on Document/Records Form
- Enter the box number (this number is assigned by each department)
- Select your Campus from the drop-down list
- Enter your department
- Enter name of department head
- Enter the name of the person preparing the documents
- Enter description of box contents, NOTE: this field needs to be as descriptive as possible. The information of your records stored in the Archives is entered into a searchable database. A distinct file information will help us for future accessibility.
- Enter Notes If applicable
- Enter Fiscal Year
- Press tab, this will take you to the next record
- Complete this process for each box, make sure to save your work
Step 4: Print and place Labels (Avery labels required No 5165)
- Select Reports
- Double click on Document/Records Labels
- Click file > print
- Cut and place the label in the center of the handle side of the box above the black bar
Step 5: Sending the document
- Keep a copy of the document for your records.
- Email the document to Admin Services email@example.com referencing that the boxes are ready to be picked up and taken to storage Admin Services will inspect the file boxes and then arrange a pick up time with Engineering.