Revised webCAPE Testing Guidelines.
Students in these categories are required to take the webCAPE Placement Exam
- DO speak Spanish or French
- Have taken a Spanish or French course in grade school or high school
Students in these categories will not be
required to take the webCAPE Placement Exam
- Have never spoken Spanish or French
- Have never taken a Spanish or French course in grade school or high school
- Received a C or better in a college
level credit course before CCC (Spanish or French)
- Received a C or better in a
course at CCC (Spanish or French)
About the placement exam:
The webCAPE Placement Exam is used to ensure that you are placed appropriately in courses where you can succeed and make progress. The exam is not judged on a pass/fail basis. Your scores help us to determine which courses are most appropriate for your current level of knowledge and skills.
You may choose to
take a world language for several reasons, including: to complete an Associate in
Arts degree, for personal enrichment, or to transfer to an institution that
requires a World Language. Completing two world
language courses in the same world language are required to complete an
Associate in Arts Degree at City Colleges of Chicago. Speak with your advisor to determine what classes you will need to take to graduate.
When should I take the webCAPE Placement Exam for Spanish or French?
It is recommended that you take the exam right before the semester for which you are enrolling. You can take the placement exam at the same time you take the COMPASS Placement Test. You can schedule time to take the placement exam at a later date at one of the Testing Centers at any of the City Colleges, as long as you complete the exam before you enroll in your first Spanish or French course.
webCAPE Placement Exam scores are valid for only one year. You will be required to re-take the placement exam if your previous webCAPE scores are more than a year old.
Where do I take the placement exam?
You may take the webCAPE Placement Exam on your own (using the links below) or in the Testing center of any of the seven City Colleges.
Choose your location. The password for the exam is "placewell".
Who administers the Placement Exam?
- The exam will be administered by the Testing Center Coordinator and staff at one of the seven City Colleges. One member of the testing center staff must be present when you take the exam.
- Follow the procedures at the particular Testing Center you attend. Some colleges handle walk-ins, but others may not. Please check with the college Testing Center ahead of time.
- If you are new to City Colleges of Chicago, you may take webCAPE on the same day you take the COMPASS test.
- If you have already taken the COMPASS Placement Test, you must take the webCAPE Placement Exam during the posted hours for the Testing Center at the college.
How much do webCAPE Placement Exams cost?
There is no charge to students for taking the placement exam.
Are there practice tests available?
There are no sample questions or tests for the webCAPE Placement Exam. You may review texts or course materials from previous classes to prepare on your own.
What is important for me to know on the day of the test?
- If you have already taken the COMPASS Placement Test, you will only take the webCAPE exam in order to enroll in either Spanish or French.
- No dictionaries, textbooks or notes should be used while you take the placement exam. The purpose of this exam is to make sure you are placed appropriately in courses where you can succeed and make progress.
- Relax! Placement testing is designed to help you to be successful in school. This is not a pass or fail exam. Your scores help us to determine which courses are most appropriate for your current level of knowledge and skills.
Do I need to do anything after I take the webCAPE Placement Exam?
The Testing Center staff or your Academic Advisor may direct you to the World Languages Department for an interview with either a Spanish or French faculty member to confirm the best class for you. This interview may take place on the same day you take the webCAPE exam.
Other World Languages
Only students taking Spanish or French for the first time at City Colleges of Chicago will take the webCAPE Placement Exam. If you have taken Spanish or French at CCC, you will not need to take webCAPE before you enroll. Your academic or faculty advisor will review your prerequisites or direct you to a World Language faculty member for placement in any language other than Spanish or French.