How to prepare for your Writing Center visit:
You, the student, decide how you want to spend your time at the Writing Center.
Appointments are normally 50 minutes. You can make an appointment by stopping by the Tutoring Emporium (Room S-102) or by calling (773) 481-8425.
Our consultants try to accommodate all walk-ins as well, but it is highly recommended that you make an appointment.
In addition, below are a few ways to get the most out of your appointments:
- Bring your student ID, writing, the assignment sheet, syllabus and any notes from class.
- Tell your consultant the issues you would like to discuss during the session. For example, you might want to work on a particular area on which your instructor commented on a draft.
- Be open. You may find that during your conversation with the consultant, your plan for the session may take another path.
- Remember that writing is a process. Therefore, be prepared to work with the Writing Center more than once.
- Be an active participant. Your consultant will ask you question and expect you to take an active part in developing your skills. Your consultant will not simply proofread your essay.
- Remember that consultants are working to help you and want you to be comfortable discussing your writing with them.