The mission of the Department of Physical Sciences is to provide our students with solid foundations in Chemistry, Physics, and Physical Sciences so that articulation of classes and material content will allow for a seamless transition into their chosen fields of interest. Our charge is to encourage students to view physical phenomena critically and develop insights which will help them discover and understand the principles that govern events in nature. All are encouraged to develop their curiosity, enhance their intellectual skills, progressively mature, and recognize the growing role of science in society.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles in the physical sciences to evaluate and solve qualitative and quantitative problems using appropriate scientific models and/or mathematical manipulations.
- Students will demonstrate competency in basic laboratory skills.
- Students will clearly communicate scientific information to instructors and peers in verbal and written formats.
- Students will collaborate effectively with their peers.
- Students will demonstrate independent learning.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use current technology to solve problems, interpret data, and develop reasoning skills.
- Students will apply an understanding of physical sciences principles learned in the classroom to past, current, and future events to make informed choices as global citizens and to act as an advocate for change in the local community.
- Engineering Pathways (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Engineering Guaranteed Transfer Program)
List of Organizations
Chemical Society - Wright College Student Chapter