Student Learning Outcomes:
- Appreciate the meanings and impact of culture for self as an individual and professional, relate it to occupational choices and opportunities, and access to healthcare.
- Use oral, written, and technology-based communication with consumers, consumer groups, peers, other professionals and parties of interest.
- Assume responsible, caring and proactive roles as an effective healthcare professional.
- Recognize and articulate ethical challenges and generate reasoned, timely and effective strategies for responding appropriately.
- Engage in the safe and effective application of the occupational therapy process to occupational therapy consumers and special populations.
- Demonstrate competence in inter and Intra-disciplinary collaboration in all aspects of the occupational therapy process.
- Possess the knowledge and skills needed to practice as an occupational therapy assistant in a variety of healthcare delivery models, systems and settings.
- Recognize the need for continuing professional development through participation in continuing education activities.
The program highlights skills instruction in the classroom, enhanced by hands-on learning experiences in health and wellness settings. Emphasis is on development of real-life problem solving skills needed for the occupational therapy assistant to enhance meaningful occupations in the lives of people.
The program’s mission is to prepare competent and
effective occupational therapy practitioners who value occupation as both a
means and as an end to quality living for self and others through a sound educational
experience that includes preparation in:
- The occupational therapy process
- The impact of culture
- Use of self as an agent of change
- Ethical professional practice
- Teaching and learning processes
- Collaborating as a healthcare professional
- Working in a variety of practice environments
- Oral and written communication skills
Occupational Therapy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE®