College, located at 30 East Lake Street in Chicago's Loop, serves thousands of students annually by supporting each one in pursuit of a certificate or degree, and ensuring they are ready to succeed in
further college or a career after graduation.
Successfully Serving Students
Following City Colleges’ five-year strategic plan released in the summer of 2013, Harold Washington College exceeded or met most goals on the FY2014 Scorecard, including graduation rate, retention, and degrees and certificates awarded.
- The FY2014 IPEDS graduation rate is 11 percent, above the target of 9 percent, and nearly triple the 4 percent rate since Reinvention began.
- Harold Washington College exceeded its target for number of completers (both degrees and certificates) by 15 percent (1,074 completers).
- 52 percent of students were employed in their area of training and the median earnings for those students was $28,985.
- Total enrollment nearly met the target with 14,048 enrollees (unduplicated).
- Read more accomplishments on the FY2014 Scorecard
Harold Washington College is City Colleges’ College to
Careers hub for education in business, entrepreneurship and professional
services. Through College to Careers, Harold Washington faculty and staff partner
with industry leaders to ensure the curriculum reflects employer demand, to provide
internships and give students the opportunity to interview for jobs in the
field. Harold Washington College business programs are accredited by ACBSP, so its business courses can be used as class hours to qualify to sit for the CPA (Certified Public Accountant) exam
to Careers Pathways:
*programs accredited by ACBSP
Partners: Aon, Gap, Randstad, Fifth Third Bank, U.S.
Cellular, Accenture, Country Financial, Accountemps, Allstate, ALPFA, CDW,
Deloitte, Federal Savings Bank, Northern Trust
Harold Washington College is the Chicago site for Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program.
Harold Washington College offers
associate degrees and shorter-term certificate programs.
- Associate Degree Transfer
Take the first two years of a degree program at Harold Washington College, then
transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue a bachelor's degree
and save up to $40,000 on your bachelor’s degree. For a list of programs, click here.
- Career Certificate Programs
Specialized courses are available for students who intend to enter immediate
employment or upgrade their professional and technical skills. For a list of
programs, click here.
Harold Washington College
students have access to a host of resources to support them on their path to
There is an active student
life through Student Government Association and student clubs.
A diverse student body studies at Harold Washington College; 36 percent of the student population is Black, 30 percent of the population is Hispanic, 18 percent is White, and 10 percent is Asian. Classes average 25 students.
Read more statistics about the college in the FY 2013 Statistical Digest.
Harold Washington College is located in the bustling Loop area of downtown Chicago at 30 E. Lake St., on the corner of Lake and Wabash. The college is easily accessible by public transportation:
Getting to Harold Washington College
- Trains: CTA Blue Line, Red Line, Brown Line, Green Line, Orange Line, Pink Line, and Purple Line
- CTA Bus Lines: 2, 10, 29, 124, 146, 148