Applicants to the Mortuary Science Program must:
- Complete an application form and all requested supporting documents by April 7. Applications for admissions are available year round.
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Have at least 18 to 34 semester hours of college credit, a grade C or better in English 101 or a 10th grade reading level on the placement examination.
- Achieve Grade “C” or better in Mathematics 118 or a 10th grade level on the placement examination.
- Provide three Letters of Recommendation
- Submit a one-page essay stating their (1) personal goals and (2) objectives for pursuing a career in Mortuary Science, as well as a (3) descriptive meaning of Mortuary Science. Essay must be typed!
- Provide a photograph (needed for identification purposes and will not be returned).
- Have their high school transcripts (if applicable) as well as transcripts from all colleges previously attended mailed directly to the Admissions Office at Malcolm X College.
- Attach a copy of all college transcripts along with all information requested (essay, letters of recommendation, application fee and program application) mail directly to the Mortuary Science Program.
Personal interviews will be scheduled only for candidates who meet the above requirements and are notified. The interview will be with the Program Director and Advisory Board to assess career goals, review previous course work, and to ascertain program interest.
Upon acceptance to the program, the student must provide proof of recent medical examination and it must be documented by the physician (please make copies) and proof of current health insurance and immunizations. This is only done if accepted, but prior to attendance in spring or fall classes.
Applicants will not be admitted into the Mortuary Science Program without successfully passing the placement examinations and required prerequisites.