Malcolm X College Tutoring
Services offers free tutoring and academic support services to assist students
in achieving personal and academic success. Tutors are available in a wide
variety of subjects to assist students through one-on-one and group tutoring
sessions. We encourage any student to seek tutoring to gain a deeper
comprehension of course content and to enhance learning development.
Top Ten Reasons Students Should Seek Tutoring:
To receive tutoring is a
quick and easy process:
- Helps to improve failing or declining grades
- Builds confidence and self esteem
- Teaches students how to overcome test anxiety
- Provides enrichment for the successful student
- Teaches organizational skills
- Reduces frustration with a particular subject
- Prepares students for standardized testing and improves success
- Establishes a good foundation for early learners struggling with key concepts
- Helps with common core standards and teaches students new learning techniques
- Reduces the struggle with homework
- Using GradesFirst, you can make an appointment for tutoring in
either the Academic Support Center (Room 1601), WordShop (Room 1209) or the
World Language Lab (Room 0536). Simply log in with your Username and Password.
On your homepage, you'll see your courses listed and a link to schedule a tutor
appointment. Please follow the steps
below to schedule a tutoring appointment.
TUTORING SERVICE GUIDELINES
- Our front desk staff can also make appointments for you if you
stop by the Academic Support Center or the WordShop. Please see the Tutoring
Chalkboard below for specific availability.
- What Tutors and Students can accomplish together.
We are happy to assist you with study prep, note taking, brainstorming and final revisions. Tutoring sessions are limited to one hour. It is important to remember that tutoring services can also be utilized early in the semester as well.
- Come prepared to tutoring sessions.
Bring any relevant textbooks, syllabi, class materials, notes, and papers. It is easier for the tutors to provide excellent tutoring service if students bring the appropriate materials to a tutoring session. Additionally, it is important for your tutor to refer back to any relevant materials provided by your instructor.
- Read your textbook and any relevant material provided by your instructor.
In order to understand the course material it is essential to read assigned pages from the textbook. Additionally, the tutors can provide students with greater assistance when the student have read the appropriate material(s).
- Come with a plan and questions.
Know what material you would like to cover within a tutoring session. Actively participate in the tutoring session by having a list of questions to ask your assigned tutor.
- Tutors can only help with homework concepts and assignments.
We strongly encourage students to make an attempt at completing their assignment prior to requesting a tutor so students can take note of the specific concepts with which they want help. You and your tutor can review these concepts and work through similar problems. However, the tutor cannot do your homework for you nor help you with take home tests, quizzes, or projects.
- Please be respectful, thank you!
Your time with the tutor is valuable. Please do not talk on your cell phone or cause distractions while working with your assigned tutor.
Placement Test Prep:
In addition to course content tutoring, we also offer tutoring for incoming students to prepare them to take the Placement Test. Students can make tutoring appointments for any of the three disciplines covered in the exam:
- MATH SERVICES
- WRITING SERVICES
- READING SERVICES
Other Tutoring Centers
Great Student Success Links: