The TRIO Educational Opportunity Center provides counseling and information on college admissions to qualified adults who want to enter or continue a program of postsecondary education. The program also provides services to improve the financial and economic literacy of participants. An important objective of the program is to counsel participants on financial aid options, including basic financial planning skills, and to assist in the application process. The goal of the EOC program is to increase the number of adult participants who enroll in postsecondary education institutions.
Participants must reside in the city of Chicago. Participants must meet one of the following requirements:
• Be at least 19 years of age (some exceptions may apply)
• Be from a lower-income background
• Be a potential first-generation college student
• Be a veteran
Educational Specialists will provide individual advising and serve as your primary contact during your time with the program. They will assist you in creating an Individual Education Plan by discussing your educational, career, and personal goals. A plan of action will then be created based on the goals you identify.
The following services are coordinated by the Educational Opportunity Center:
• Assistance in enabling adults to return to school and pursue post-secondary education
• Dissemination of financial aid and college admissions information
• Assistance in the preparation and completion of financial aid and admission documents
• Loan default assistance
• Career and educational counseling, advisement, and GED referrals
• Advocacy to increase offers of admission and ensure academic support
• Course selection assistance
• Referrals to community agencies, services, organizations, and programs that seek to assist individuals in improving their lives and achieving their goals
• Enrichment workshops, programs, and events that enhance one’s knowledge of their educational opportunities and career potential
All services coordinated by the Educational Opportunity Center are free of charge to participants.
To make use of the services coordinated by the Educational Opportunity Center, please do the following:
• Ensure you are eligible according to the criteria specified in the eligibility section
• Complete the Educational Opportunity Center application form and return it to an Educational Specialist
• Make an appointment with an Educational Specialist to create an individual education plan
• Follow through with your individual education plan paper work, due dates, referrals, and other related tasks
• Contact the Educational Opportunity Center with any questions you have